Monday, April 26, 2010

Asparagus

The art of packing a canning jar is something I have yet to master, someday, it will be something I can aspire to...master packer! Anywho, this evening I pickled a few loads of asparagus...I haven't ever done it before, so it was a little of an adventure. Thanks Lyndenn for the awesome recipe! I think they will be o-so-tasty. It's almost May and thus begins the canning and food preservation season for me...I absolutely love knowing how to can food, it makes me feel useful, and even though Brian doesn't like or eat any of my canned goods, I enjoy them enough to do it over and over.
Step 1: Start with some yummy fresh picked asparagus, thanks Brian for bringing that home for me!
Step 2: add plenty of garlic, dill seed, dill weed, peppercorns, red pepper.
Step 3: pack jars with asparagus, spices, and vinegar brine.
Step 4: wait 4 months for them to marinate in their juices...I don't know if I have the patience...pickled asparagus is my absolute favorite.

7 comments:

Lori O. said...

They look awesome !! I am impressed, What do you do with all your can goods, do you make just enough till the next season?

Emily Bartsch said...

I gonna give it a whirl! I should get that recipe too. Hey Lyndenn....

~Roberts~ said...

So glad your evening wasn't wasted. Again sorry for canceling, but after Ashley saw Josh's hair, she had to agree with canceling. It's very scary!! I'm impressed you can can, something still on my to do list.

The Cizik Family said...

Yum! Yum! 4 months should be ready just in time for FCAD!

Kara said...

They look so pretty laying there all neat and orderly! I can't say that I have ever had pickled asparagus, but now I am eager to find some and try it!

Andrea Elliott said...

I LOVE pickled asparagus! I also, LOVE Lyndenn's recipe! So yummy! I hope that I get to try yours out... yum.

JoMama said...

Staci Jean... the photo of the spices is really neato, looks straight out of one of my foodie mags. Can't wait to try it!