Monday, June 11, 2012

Triathlon

Alice and I have been training for the triathlon for about 2 months.  We have been biking, swimming, and running everyday most of the time together which has been awesome to have a training partner.  Well last weekend was when it all came together!  When I told Marcy (who lives in Sacramento, her and I ran XC in high school together) that we were doing a triathlon she decided to come home for the weekend and visit her family and do the Tri with us!  The more the merrier!
This June's weather has proved to be more then interesting.  Morning of the triathlon it was overcast, cold, cloudy, sprinkling here and there, and about 50 degrees!  Alice and I being newbies at this whole Triathlon thing didn't have wetsuits....out of the 85 participants Alice and I were among about the 5 other people with out wetsuits......this is intimidating because it was freezing, but it was also good news because it made our transitions quicker.
I am proud to say the Marcy won the event for the women, Alice placed 2nd, and I was 5th.  I won first place in my age group and was 31st overall of the men and women!  It was .5 mile swim, 11 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. I am really happy with my time of 1:25:59.

Marcy and I
 Alice and I.
 Waiting for the swim to start.
 This is the crazy part, the start of the swim, everyone is just waiting in the water, they say go and you all just jump in, you get kicked, elbowed, and it's hard to avoid it.
 This is the transition area, it's kinda of a crazy area of people in and out.
Transition from the bike to the run.
 Coming into the finish!
They right your age on your calf...that way you know who you competing against while running an cycling in your age group...it was actually a pretty good motivator.
 Here's my number one fan!  He's so awesome.  Was all over the race course taking pics and always has something supportive to say.
 I have fast friends!  Marcy and Alice with their winning trophies and my metal for 1st in my age group!

4 comments:

Kara said...

That is amazing! I am very impressed and you even made running look and sound like fun! Congratulations!

H Love said...

Wow...you are so strong!! This makes me so excited and so scared. I need to pick your brain and get details on your transitions. CONGRATS girl!

jeffoverman said...

Good job woman!! I dont know much about triatholons but it sounds like you did amazing!!! You're a rock star!

jeffoverman said...

btw this is Emily, not Jeff haha.